Thursday 19 January 2012

The bore of the drug world



Conversing about and taking drugs has been happening for many years. From the experimental and pretentious art student to the speed freak cultural studies student, from the local chippie server to the football hooligan, from the office workers in the pub toilets to the phone salesman on the dance floor – of all these categories, circulation of drug talk is inevitable. And for a tragic but also buzz fulfilling cause – that drugs are something that when taken can change the dynamics of character and henceforth initiate new experiences and provide a social platform for one to establish oneself. Talk of heightened emotions, euphoric physical feelings, even erotica, ‘holes’, coming up, hallucinations, tripping amongst others – I have found in recent months of individual growth and aspirations towards other things – to have become completely boring. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy conversing with others whilst taking drugs, which I don’t do too often, and the after effects I endure as well – engaging minds can be one of the most enjoyable parts of the experience. What I find to be repetitive, intentionally status enhancing and overly saturated in conversation is the constant reference to ‘md’ and its ‘sick’ highs or acid and its ‘trips’, amongst other endless references. I focus particularly on students and the youth of today. In too many social situations in recent months at university, I find myself amongst cliques who initiate conversation with drug taking. This is not to openly suggest I oppose those taking drugs, many of my friends do – but why did it have to become so fucking pretentious?

3 comments:

  1. Drugs are like sex. The point is to experiment it, not to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your comments, can I ask who you are?

      Delete